Sunday, June 16, 2013

Deconstructing the Taboo of Depression

Do you know what is the greatest challenge that depressive patients most endure? You may be surprised that it's not the condition in itself that poses the most grief, but rather how we relate with it. Don't take us wrong: this is not to say that dealing with depression is a walk in the park - it isn't, not by a long shot. But we do believe it wouldn't be quite as challenging if there wasn't as much prejudice and ill-conceived towards people who happen to suffer from depression.

For some reason, most people still have a completely archaic view of depression and its implications, even though we live in a supposedly modern and advanced soiety. For most, admitting they have depression related problems is akin to admitting they have mental issues... which in turn equates with being regarded as somewhat of a lesser human being. As result of this overarching issue, most people who struggle with depression will refuse to even consider seeking help (or even to admit they have troubles) until the situation has grown completely out of their control, leading to a full scale mental break down, or worse.

Depression is much more common that you imagine

Statistics in this area are rather appealing  with most specialists suggesting that as many as 20-25% of all adults standing a highly likely chance to endure a bout of mental illness every passing year! In this moment in history, as many as 75% of us know someone who suffers from depression or other mental illnesses!  The prescription of anti depressants has been rising at an alarming rate, doubling at roughly every decade. In fact, the World Health Organization has suggested that if the current pattern is maintained .. within one or two decades depression will grow to become more worrying and destructive than serious physical sicknesses such as HIV!

You can read all of these  facts, as well as the life story of a regular man whose life was nearly wrecked by depression, in this fascinating article originally published in the Guardian. Hopefully this will offer some perspective and relief, if you're an "in the closet" depression patient  who's fearful of seeking help due to the possible (and mostly imaginary) implications of doing so.

Read on, and rest assured that one of the most important attack fronts in the worldwide treatment of depression is not related to the development of new treatments and pharmaceuticals, but rather on the deconstruction of lingering social taboos that remain all too common, pertaining to anyone afflicted with depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment